Monday, November 7, 2016

"Doctor Strange" Review

Monday Movie! Doctor Strange

Bechdel Test: fail
Mako Mori Test: fail
Sexy Lamp Test: pass

On the DZA Review Scale, I give it a solid fantastic.


I'll level with you: I never read the Doctor Strange comics. And I was less than thrilled about the whitewashed casting and Marvel's bullshit excuses about it. 

But...I did see Doctor Strange in theaters on opening night. And it was great. Trippy, but great. 

I love Benedict Cumberbatch. He's incredibly talented and nails every role he gets (Sherlock, Khan, Smaug...). 

And I love Marvel. I wasn't even pissed about the Bechdel and Mako Mori tests failing because the love interest (Christine) is a doctor in her own right who saves Strange's life without getting all misty-eyed about it. And the Ancient One, while having a questionable casting choice, is badass. She also has some very...ah, strict?...teaching techniques. (She strands Strange on Everest to get him to teleport. Chiwetel Ejiofor's character Mordo hears about it and gives a resigned, "Not again.")

I would wholeheartedly recommend seeing this movie. Marvel may make a few mistakes, but they are trying (The Ancient One is a man in the comics, so they get points for genderbending), and they still made a damn good movie.

Also, we found out in the credits scene that Doctor Strange will, in all likelihood, be in Thor: Ragnorak. Think about that. Benedict Cumberbatch. Tom Hiddleston. Chris Hemsworth. My ovaries just blew up. 

--

Thanks for reading! :)
What were your thoughts on the movie? What about Tilda Swinton's role as The Ancient One? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm really curious about this one. I did read some of the Strange comics growing up, and some of them were quite trippy. It looks well done, and I'm curious to see how they adapt it. This makes me want to see it more! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never read the Strange comics; I saw it because A) Benedict Cumberbatch, B) Marvel, and C) Benedict Cumberbatch. Also D) Benedict Cumberbatch.

      Anyway, I think Cumberbatch is in the movie.

      Delete