Saturday, November 12, 2016

Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2016 (So Far)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story comes out in December, and I am counting the minutes until I am sitting in the theater. So to kill some time, and in honor of RinnRead's Sci-Fi Month, I figured we could revisit some of 2016's best sci-fi movies. I pulled the top 5 based on reviews and my own (less than) humble opinion. If you think I'm leaving something out, let me know!



10 Cloverfield Lane


Watch it here on Amazon.

Cloverfield came out in 2008 as a found-footage sci-fi horror about a monster attack in NYC. This year saw a sequel, arguably better than the first movie. 10 Cloverfield Lane focuses more on the horror element of sci-fi horror. Most of the movie takes place in an underground bunker, where the protagonist is stuck in an abusive relationship with her "savior." The line on the poster says it best: monsters come in many forms.


Into the Forest


Watch it here on Amazon.

End-of-the-world dystopia + sister relationship woes = very good movie. Already I feel bad for them: they're stuck in the middle of the Canadian woods with no wifi.


Star Trek Beyond


Watch it here on Amazon.

I already did a full review of this awesome movie here


Kill Command


Watch it here on Amazon.

Marines are stuck on an island with a homicidal robot. In other words, it's Lost + Terminator with Vanessa Kirby. What's not to love?


Arrival


Just came out in theaters. No pirating! *glare*

I always see Hawkeye every time I see Jeremy Renner, which is kind of annoying as it takes me out of every other movie he stars in. But that's not going to stop me from seeing Arrival this weekend, and it certainly doesn't stop the rave reviews. Nothing beats amazing actors working a simple premise: aliens show up, and we need to figure out why.

You can read the full review here.

--

Thanks for reading!
If you think I've neglected to put a movie on this list, let me know in the comments! 

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for Rogue One! It totally looks great and I think Jyn Erso and Cassian are going to be awesome leads, I hope it really shakes up Star Wars while giving us the cool stuff too (AT-ST's and all that stuff). As to your list, I want to see 10 Cloverfield, I'm SO curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I also highly recommend "Arrival." I saw it this weekend and it is fantastic!

      Delete