Friday, December 4, 2015

Martian Red

This week's post was originally going to be another installment of my Demonology Files (I'm looking at the jinn, or genies, of Arabian culture). But instead I had to research an 18th Century Baptist named John Leland who helped James Madison create the Bill of Rights and freedom of religion in America (such as it is). 

Finals are in a week and a half and then I'll be gloriously free!

For about another week and a half. Then I have a January class. :/

Anyway, the point is, no Demonology Files or review for this week. You all probably don't want to read my half-finished history paper, so instead I'm posting a pessimistic poem I wrote about Mars for my creative writing class (which I am so glad I took because this is the second time I've used an assignment from that class to save my blogging butt; I'll probably do it a third time next week, too).

Enjoy! :)

--


Martian Red


Red
is warm
          hot burning
                    fire
                          molten lava
breath from deep in a dragon's belly

Here
it's cold.
White ghosts
escape our lips--
          blue, like our
                    fingers if we don't have
                              money for mittens and
most don't


Red
is usually
          danger!
          stop!
blood on
          your shirt
blood dripping
          from your nose
blood on the
          ground
          wall
          pavement
everywhere
but where
it's supposed to be

Here
that's true.
          The whole planet:
          no blue
          no green
          just one big  
stop
          sign that reads
danger
          so
stay away
          please


Here
red
pours from the
holes in people's
bodies
as they choke on more
red--
          coating the knife
          of a thief
          no, they're just--
                    surviving
                    requires food
                    just want some food
                    there's no--
                              water
                              dried and shriveled
                              man-made lakes
                              that were too small
                              too new
                              to quench so many--
                                        people
                                        there are millions
                                        fleeing snow and storms
                                        from their broken Mother--

Earth is a white
frozen ball
as cold as
here,
where it's
red

--

Know a good movie, show, or book?
Any questions, comments, or criticisms?
(I'm not made of glass; if you think it sucked, tell me.)

Then please contact me!

Thanks for reading! See you next week.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment